Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Sibling Experience

I was only 3. When I was told I have a baby sister to out for. I'm sure the thought must have enthralled me. But as far as my folks tell me (thank the gods I don't remember) I wasn't the best of the brothers they had thought I would be. Now what I recount here are things I don't remember, but close relatives can be accurate sources. And then there is some stuff which I DO remember. So let me walk you through a time-line.

This incident was told to me my granny. It was the time I guess when my sis would have been around a few months old. The little me apparently could not stand getting all the attention diverted towards the little one. Now the sad part. Turns out I was a nasty kid at the start, so the nasty kid chucked a small steel utensil at my then baby sister. Gran had awesome reflexes ( still does) and she caught it before any damage could be done. That was incident number one. There were no other such incidences of course. Mom made sure of that.

As she grew up, we developed a mutual understanding. Now this stuff I do remember. The awesome parts. Well sort of. Now from this time, the few reasons I remember this is cause my folks kept on reminding me about all this stuff. You know, just for nostalgia's sake. She had her own space, I had my own. We each had our own things we used to play with. My toy cars, action figures, cricket bat while she had her dolls (now all condemned to a life at the dump). Ah yes. The red chair. There was this red chair. I remember this part. Little kids have affinity to coloured things. Their own coloured furniture? Ultimate feeling. But you see, this kid was told to share. Not nice. I was here first. The fights we had were epic. Never a physical quarrel as far as I remember, but a lot of screaming and wailing, enough to make a mother weep. Sorry about that maa.

Then there was a time when we were both alone. Mom and dad were out for work, and brother and sister spent some quality time. Television had it's limits and we decided to play those roll playing games. Sis here said she wanted a hair cut and I be happy to oblige. One lock of hair. It was ONE lock of hair. The pasting from mom was BAD!! The worst part, the little sneak got away with it!!

We grew up. Both teenagers. Still fighting over little things. Mom was starting to figure we'd never get along. Ever. We would often fight when we were out. Dad was normally cool about it. Not saying much. Observing. Mom snapped. We had an ultimatum. That was a bad day. Lots of bitterness. I was always told things would pan out. And they did. I dunno when, or how, but they did. I DID love my sister. She was just impossible at most times. As she grows up, gives her boards, I can only watch in awe as the bulldozers the competition.

My sister. My baby sister. It's amazing to see how we both have grown. Well technically she's still a kid, but she's way smarter than I was in her age. I haven't been the best of brothers, but sissy,  (:P), if you're reading this, I'm sorry about those long quarrels. Kids are awesome to their siblings and I wish I was a better one. If not then, I will be now. I hope I'm doing a good job. Dedicated to you. Cheers :)

6 comments:

  1. nyc post!
    btw u remember we once created two fictional characters in ur flat last year! the guy was akash in 10th and u suggested the name for his 7th standard sister, Shreya... :)
    god bless you both!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable read!! I hpe she gets to read, not many brothers emote!
    She is really very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice and very sweet post.God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for those kind words :)

    ReplyDelete