Saturday, December 3, 2011

Patched Blankets And Broken Guitar Strings


Every person has something or the other with him that he values above all his possessions. I'm not talking about the expensive stuff people buy and go crazy on loosing it soon afterwards. What I'm referring to is something personal. Like when I was a kid I remember having this thin blanket I used to use to sleep. This must be around when I was around 7. Thing was I used to take a bite out of it every night. Why did I have this weird habit? No idea. I try not to think about now. Anyways, in a few months, it had more holes than a French cheese. My mother, exasperated at this habit, used to tell me off adding that she would do away the blanket if I don't stop my habit. The 7 year old payed no heed. One day, when his blanket was too full of holes, his mother put it for it's timely washing. Little that the little me knew, he would never see it again. At night when I asked for it, my mom told me to use a comfier replacement. I did. It was nice. But I missed my patched blanket, holes and all.
Time flew by. And around 10 years later I got my most precious thing so far. My first guitar. Acoustic. And it set me back by 4 grand. But it was totally worth it. I would try different songs on it, attempt to make my own tunes, even braved singing a few of my compositions when I was alone. We were inseparable. I got it to Pune when I joined college here. We started jamming with it here. It was fun. An instant hit. It lasted about a year before all the use here took it's toll. The strings got so worn out that 2 of them have broken and though they can be easily replaced, even my guitar is showing signs of fatigue. Like it's gonna snap. Soon.
It HAS been 5 years of serious rough use. My parents recon that I should get an electric now and do away with this one. I don't want to. This is my first guitar. I agree I have been negligent with it, but it was the best thing I've ever had. And that includes my long lost blankey. I'll try and get it fixed. Even if it's just for keepsake. I'll treasure it. Always. Or until nature allows me to...

No comments:

Post a Comment