Friday, January 6, 2012

The idle mind - A post by a very bored person


I was really looking forward to this week. The first week of the year. The college doesn’t open for another week. No books. No studies. No chores. Sitting here in my rented apartment with a week of nothingness seemed like a nice change from the busy exam schedule. All would have been perfect, IF there was somebody to spend all this free time with. None of my friends are here. My laptop has just come back with a new hard disk, and thus, no source of entertainment there. So I now have a week in front of me with nothing but a project coming up to work with. As much as I love what I’m doing, it does get awfully monotonous. I just can’t imagine myself sitting at one place working on a design with nothing else to do. Summing it up, I as bored as one can be.

I often wondered how it must be for those who lived alone in big cities. I had imagined it to be a cool thing to stay like that. No commitments, coming and going as one sees fit, living the life with your own terms…but now all that seems pointless. My schedule involved getting up late in the morning, around nine, lazing around for an hour getting up, walking around like a zombie, going downstairs for a bite to eat, coming back up and then finally settling down to get the design done. Then I take a nap and repeat the above process. Like I said, pure uselessness.

An idle mind is a devil’s workshop. So says a famous quote. In that case, I’m pretty sure mine must be close to a forge or a workshop of a sort by now. What really got me worried was the fact, thati could not think of even ONE thing to do in all this free time. So I decide to do the thing I like to do best, write. Or in this case, blog about something. Normally it doesn’t take much to think about what to write. I’m far from a good blogger. Just a beginner here, but the ideas never seem to be a problem. Life, being the biggest inspiration, just seems to supply the mind with ideas. Right now, the lake full of ideas is as dry as a patch of the Sahara. Forget blogging, my mind seems to have totally lost all capability to think beyond what i'm supposed.

I started trying to keep myself busy. Got deeper into my design, started thinking about philosophies, religion, reading a book (Girl who kicked the hornet's nest, brilliant read BTW) and now have started feeling somewhat better.I'll be coming up with different posts soon. This writers block is a terrible thing. I hate blankness. But i'm happy about this free time. You get to know yourself best at such times. 

If indeed there is a devil residing somewhere in the grey matter, sir, PLEASE STOP MESSING AROUND WITH MY HEAD!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment