Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Resume


It all seems a long time ago. I had my 10th standard and was reasonably happy with my results, the time was all about how fun life had become, and about how we had crossed the first major exam we were to give…life was full with the feeling of accomplishments. Just when things seemed at their best, the big question was thrown at us, “What do you plan on taking up as a career?”

BANG!! All the fun shot right out of the sky of bliss. I remember NOT trying to think on the topic. I was 15. I had a good 8 years before me for that decision. Back then, it didn’t matter what I did as long as I was happy. Personally, my first thought was going into literature, but on further thinking I didn’t think that I would like to do that for the rest of my life. I had zero interest in the matters of finance, so the commerce section was out. Thinking of cutting up something really didn’t fit the mood either. So non-medical science it was. Technical drawing subject was an added incentive. It was fun to do. The two years of high school passed like crazy and before I knew it, there I was again, sitting on a chair with my standard 12th board paper in front of me. That too passed without much difficulty. Time for a momentary rest before the entrance test began. Yeah right. Before the first day after the exams was out there was that question again “What do you plan on taking up as a career?
So college it was. After much discussion, a career path was finally in view. Or so I had thought. At college it was “What job are you planning to apply for?”  

All throughout the education lifetime, that is the only thing people ask. And the sad part is, people actually relate to those questions. Can’t blame them can i? I mean, those times are past when people studied cause they wanted to. Life has turned out to be one big struggle. Throughout their lives people take up jobs against their better judgement just cause it pays well. Now I admit that money can be a big driving force, but wouldn't a person be more successful in doing something he enjoys?

I've seen guys go through 4 years of engineering to ultimately just getting a bank job. I really don’t see the point here. Surely a person from an educational background of commercial studies will be more suited to the job than you. Having all that technical data stuffed in your head for four years and you don’t want to make use of it? If the money is a big priority, then I understand, but I've seen well off people just jump at the opportunity to move to a non-engineering job.

People do all these software courses to boost up their resume, when they don’t give a hoot about what they are learning. All they seem to want another certificate to put up in their resume. When I asked a fellow classmate about this, he just shrugged and said that he didn’t care what they were teaching. He wasn’t even attending the classes religiously. He just wanted another certificate.

I see the race happening. I can see the mice running to get the cheese. But I guess people miss the fundamental point here. You get a job so you can earn and live a comfortable life. If the job makes your life a boring one (that’s around 8 hours a day, maybe more), then doesn’t it all sort of defeating the purpose? What god is a sports car if you don’t get a chance to drive it?yttt

1 comment:

  1. "" I can see the mice running to get the cheese. "" VERY true,, competitive world dude :D

    i know a guy who spent 1000RS for his resume but for all his efforts he got places in Ashok leyland :D and few got TCS...
    But certainly 4 years WASTED !
    this post made me NOSTALGIC :D

    ReplyDelete